Tama County Historical Society & Genealogical Library
200 N. Broadway
Toledo, IA 52342
641-484-6767
HomeProgramsResearchNewsPhotosJoinCabin

Contact Us
For more information, please
Or call 641-484-6767

Tama County Museum News
Sorghum manufacturing, Toledo, Iowa, circa 1953.

May 30, 2016

Haven
The third annual Haven School Picnic is Sunday, June 5, at 1:00 p.m. at the historic one-room schoolhouse located at 2488 380th Street in rural Chelsea.

The school dates back to 1872 and has been lovingly restored to its original character. The picnic is a potluck. Guests should bring a dish to share and their own table service.

Directions:Heading south on US 63, turn east on E-64 (Sand Hill Corner) and proceed about seven miles. The school is a short distance past Haven Cemetery, just east of Haven Church.

The event is hosted by the Tama County Historical Society.


March 13, 2016

Reece takes reins of Tama County Historical Society



Read the full story on www.tamatoledonews.com

February 22, 2016

Presentation on Belle Plaine's Historic Herring Cottage Hotel Planned March 2

TOLEDO-The Tama County Historical Society and Genealogical Library will host a presentation on Belle Plaine's Herring Cottage Hotel on Wednesday, March 2, 2016, at 7:00 p.m. at 200 North Broadway St., Toledo. The talk is free and open to the public.

Kristine Morrow-Pope will discuss the hotel's history and highlights. Known as "The Swellest Little Hotel in Iowa," The Herring Cottage Hotel celebrated its opening April 12, 1900. Located in the heart of Belle Plaine along the historic Lincoln Highway, the hotel hosted many famous names and dignitaries during its storied life, from author Mark Twain to President Theodore Roosevelt. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 21, 2014

First annual picnic held at Havel School
Restoration of historic building is nearing completion

The first of what is to be an annual school picnic took place at the Haven one-room schoolhouse south of Tama Saturday, June 21. A picnic lunch was enjoyed by many people from people from many towns, and several from the neighborhood who had relatives or themselves attended the schoolhouse.people from many towns, and several from the neighborhood who had relatives or themselves attended the schoolhouse.

The school building was built in 1872, and still sits on the same foundation it did when built. The building was closed for school purposes in May of 1968, the last one-room schoolhouse to close in Tama County. The teacher at that time was Beulah Hrabak.

A few years ago following a flood when the Chelsea school building was unable to be used to complete the year, Mrs. Charles Johnson came to the school to complete their last few weeks. This was an experience as well as a special kind of education for the students that no other group had the opportunity to join.

At the present time the Tama County Historical Society is doing fundraising to purchase an old pot bellied wood burning stove to put into the school. This will complete the restoration process of the building. 

For reservations call 641-484-6767 or email tracers@pcpartner.net.

Nov. 17, 2013
Historical Society Elects Officers

The Tama County Historical Society elected officers during their regular monthly meeting on Wednesday evening, Nov. 6, 2013.

Read the full story here. County Historical Society